Flood overlay review needed
A Loch Sport resident raised issues re current flood overlay condition during the March 18 Council meeting.
The WGCA made decision regarding flood overlay restriction in 2024, they did not advise council till later and now 300 coastal property owners, including property owners in Port Albert, have received letters advising of the restrictions.
”Loch Sport businesses convened a meeting following the arrival of letters from council the second phase of the action is now underway. “they said.
A petition has been started, and a community meeting will be held at Loch Sport this Saturday at 2 pm.
“Not everyone understands this issue,” they said.
“We thank council for their support in this matter.”
The speaker concluded his address to council with “We believe bushfire is more of a threat to our community than flooding,”
Wellington Shire Mayor Councilor Rossetti urged coastal communities to go online and look at petition and make up their minds if they want to sign. It has been quite frustrating for council as well,” he said.
Mr Rossetti said council was battling along trying to get the best for their community. “”A block of land is possible the biggest asset for some. One of the most disappointing elements is that this has been ruled elsewhere and left to council to find solution.,” he said.
Wellington Shire Deputy Mayor Madeley added that Council has approved all planning permits to date. Noting that Council is committed to working closely with key stakeholders including working with West Gippsland Catchment Management to update flood overlays.
When a Planning Permit is required by these Overlays, Council relies on the technical advice of the West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority (WGCMA) as the local floodplain manager.
The WGCMA provides referral advice to Council on individual Planning Permit applications, which will typically result in matters such as specified heights of building floor levels on any approved Planning Permit.
“ It must be noted that Council does not influence property values,” she said
“Council remains committed to keeping community informed.”
Flood overlays – Nationals Leader of Victoria and Member for Gippsland South Danny O’Brien has sponsored the petition. Flood overlays - Petitions - Parliament of Victoria
"The people of Gippsland South are being encouraged to put their name to petition that calls on the Allan Labor Government to reconsider recent changes to flood overlays regulations."
Petition Flood overlays
henry@luiz.com.au started this petition
Issue:
This petition of residents in Victoria draws to the attention of the Legislative Assembly the concerns of land owners of East Victoria, including Loch Sport, with regard to the current flood overlay conditions. While we acknowledge and appreciate the government's commitment to public safety, we believe that these regulations have become overly restrictive and are having unintended consequences on local development, economic growth, individuals’ retirement plans and the overall quality of life for residents.
Action:
The petitioners therefore request that the Legislative Assembly call on the Government to
1. Review and revise the revised flood overlay conditions to allow for more flexibility as current home owners while maintaining a focus on safeguarding against genuine flood threats.
2. Introduce a tiered approach to flood risk management that takes into account varying flood risks in different areas and allows for more tailored regulations that will enable responsible development without compromising safety.
3. Provide support for property owners and businesses affected by the flood overlay conditions, including offering financial assistance, incentives for flood mitigation measures, or exceptions in cases where risk is demonstrably low.
The petition will be live until April 19. Some 2,700 people have signed the petition so far.